This tutorial requires an Android Phone and a PC running Windows.
Before this tutorial starts, download and install HTC Sync here. Aswell as this you need HTC Drivers. Also, download this file and extract it to C:\Android.
Also, go to your phones settings, click power and disable fast boot. Also, go to settings > applications > development and tick USB Debugging.
I am not responsible for any damages you make to your phone. Make sure to backup everything before starting.
If you have ANY questions, stupid or not, leave them below
Step 1: Updating your bootloader
- First of all, we need to unlock your devices bootloader. To do this, first of all we need to get your phones version number.
- Go to Menu > Settings > About Phone > Software Information > More. Keep note of the Kernel Version.
- Now go to HTCDev.com and Register for an account.
- Once registered, go to the home page of HTCDev.com and select Unlock Bootloader.
- On the right of this page, select the HTC Wildfire S on the dropdown box and Click Unlock Bootloader.
- Accept all the long disclaimer messages, and click proceed to install instructions.
- Now, scroll down to the bottom of the page. Find the ROM which has the same number as the kernel version you noted down before and download it. If you cannot find your ROM scroll to the bottom of this post. For example, mine was 2.13.401.3 so I downloaded the HTC EU one.
- Once it has downloaded, plug in your phone, make sure USB debugging is enabled and open the file you just downloaded from HTCDev.
- Now, follow the on screen instructions. It should be fairly easy.
- Once it's done Congratulations! You have updated your bootloader.
- Now we need to unlock your bootloader.
- Make sure it has finished updating the bootloader. Now, remove the battery from your phone and put it back in. Also unplug your phone from your PC.
- Go back to the HTC Dev page with the list of downloads. At the bottom of that page, click Proceed to Step 1. Go to the bottom of the page again and click proceed to 5 and then ONCE again to Proceed to Step 8. If you are confused just click here to go to the page I am talking about. We are going to need this page later, so leave it for now.
- Now, Press the power button on your smartphone and the Volume Down button at the same time. It should load up a white menu.
- Using the volume buttons, highlight "Fastboot" and press the power button to select it.
- Now, plug in your phone to your computer and make sure on the screen it says "Fastboot USB"
- Make sure you have downloaded and extracted the RAR file to C:\Android at the start of the post. If not download here.
- Press the Windows Key + R at the same time on your PC. A run dialogue will pop up.
- Type in CMD and press Enter. Once CMD Loads, type in "CD C:\Android" without the quotes.
- Now on CMD type "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" without the quotes. It will show a bunch of code.
- Now, right click the end of the text and click mark. Highlight everything from <<< Identifier Token Start >>> to <<< Identifier Token End >>> and Press Ctrl + C.
- Now, go back to the HTCDev page. Scroll to the bottom of the page and paste your code in the box at the bottom and click submit.
- You will receive and email with a file attached. Download the attachment and place it in your C:\Android folder.
- Once it has downloaded, go to the CMD Window and type "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin" without quotes.
- Now on your phone, confirm that you want to unlock your bootloader. Use the volume buttons to go up and down and use the Power button to select. Make sure you select confirm!
- Your bootloader is unlocked! Exit this menu and launch your phone as usual.
Step 3: Rooting your HTC Wildfire S
- Now that you have unlocked your bootloader, download the HTC Supertool. (Fixed Link)
- Once you have downloaded/unzipped the above file and, launch SuperTool.exe.
- Make sure your phone is loaded as normal and that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Press 1 to prep using Zergrush method. Once it has done that, press 3 to root. Once it has rooted, type reboot and then press enter. It will reset your phone and you should now have root.
- If it did not work, try pressing 2 instead of 1 on the above instruction.
- Now on your phone, go to the Google Play store and install superuser.
- You're now hopefully rooted!
You now have the power to install ROM's such as Android 4.0 aswell as speed up your smartphone!
Alternative Root Method:
- Download and Install UnlockRoot on your PC
- Connect your HTC Wildfire S with USB Debugging Enabled
- Open UnlockRoot. If using Windows 7 or Vista, run as administrator.
- On the UnlockRoot interface, click "Root."
- Reboot your HTC Wildfire S and install Superuser from the google play store.
- Your device should be rooted.
What you need to do is download a random one and open it up with your htc wildfire s connected in USB Debugging mode. Once you go through the steps, it will show a Update Screen. At the top of this screen it will say your ROM version. Once you've got the rom version, download the correct one from the site :)
Subscribe to find out when a new post is released! It's free and just takes a second!